Headstone Manor Park spans 23 hectares and is all that remains of the much larger, ancient ‘Heggeston’ farm, which was first recorded from 1300. Farming continued on the land up until 1928, when it was purchased by the then local authority, Hendon Rural District Council, to create a public park.
The park is designated a Site of Importance for Nature Conservation (SINC) and surrounds the 13th-century moated Headstone Manor, which is now a museum. The project will regenerate all aspects of the park complementing the recently restored HLF funded Headstone Manor Museum, buildings and new visitor centre. It will restore the water-filled historic 14th-century moat and parts of Yeading Brook will be widened making space for wetlands to improve habitats;